Production planning process
We’ll help you to coordinate and improve the processes in product creation.
Forward-looking product creation process
Product design suitable for assembly
The impact of a long TTM (time-to-market) or inadequate planning can be considerable, for example, a loss of sales or market share due to late market launch or a suboptimal cost or quality level. However, it still applies: The product or production costs are determined early in the product development process – later changes and the adaptation of processes and technologies are associated with greater effort.
This makes early coordination between the functions (R&D, purchasing, production, logistics) all the more important to ensure that production meets costs, quality and deadlines.
Production, which is usually the most capital-intensive area in industrial companies, deserves special consideration in the product development process (PDP).
We can support you in optimizing the production planning process
- Transfer to series production / series capability
- Design of an individual production planning process
- Create phase model and project management
- Development of process guidelines: process map, processes, roles and responsibilities, templates, project management, checklists, process FMEAs (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), requirements / functional specification
- Consistent documentation and control through gate reviews and approval processes
- PMO – Project Management Office
- Introduction of IT platform (agile project management)
Efficient production planning process
The production planning process (PPP) describes the structured procedure within the PDP, from the conception of production to the (series) ramp-up, and includes efficient project management and the associated tools such as
- Investment application and project profile
- Specifications and requirements specification
- Quality assessment
- Gate reviews
Through clear processes and responsibilities together with targeted project management, the PPP enables optimal production costs, process stability, series capability and a shorter TTM (time to market). Accordingly, the PPP makes a big contribution to faster return on investment (ROI), increased responsiveness and earlier cash flow.
What are the biggest mistakes in the production planning process
- Insufficient understanding and lack of transparency of the processes
- Lack of exchange and regular synchronization between the departments
- Too late information of production, logistics, supply chain, etc.
With the introduction of simultaneous engineering, production planning starts earlier. As soon as preliminary product versions have been worked out, planning for their production will begin. The development is running in parallel.
We’ll help you shorten the development time of a new product and react faster to production-induced changes.
Ramp up-Konzept Kundenbeispiel
A ramp-up concept was created for a leading pharmaceutical company and a manufacturer of reagents and devices for medical examination.
A ramp-up assembly concept at an existing location for a short-term increase in output by approx. 500%.
The dismantling of the solution had to be guaranteed, as no permanent increase in output was to be expected.
In order to enable an increase in output, ifp developed a procedure for selecting relevant assemblies as part of the concept planning, taking into account the sales forecasts, the customer cycle, the work content and the employees.
On the basis of a comprehensive data and process analysis, an assembly concept was presented that reacts flexibly to various output requirements.